Sunday 21 April 2019

Using the Knowledge Check in game

Here is how I do Knowledge checks,

5E Knowledge Checks


Lets apply this to a Quasit, page 63 of the 5e Monster Manual.

Challenge of 1

DC 11Arcana or Religion check (I don't mind let players roll a higher skill for the check as both apply)

If the total is between 11 and 14, they know the basics, it is a demon, shapechanger, like most demons resistant to a bunch of effects.
If the total 15 to 19, I would allow more specific questions, one at total of 15, two questions at 19.
"What kind of resistances?" I would give 2 if the roll was a 15, 3 at 17, all at 18+
as the roll goes high the more questions get answered.

I count each section that is separated by red lines in the Quasits stat block in the monster manual as a four point knowledge check. With 5 sections, that is 4x5 plus the original DC of 11=31.

If the player rolled a 31+ on the knowledge check I would just hand over the MM tot he player to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment