Tuesday 28 May 2019

Gaming Group History part 1

I was having a chat with my oldest son about gaming and I started on a rant about all the groups I have been apart of.
The time table will be off a little, these gaming groups have been gaming with me for more then 2 years, anything less then 2 years will not be given a number but I had a few of those as well.

Group#1
My High school had a D&D club, this is 1985
We played every lunch hour, so got around 45mins each day of gaming.
I really enjoyed this and it helped me as I went against the grain and went to a public school as my grade school I attended was separate school board.
I do not stay in contact with no one from my high school days.
Did this for nine months a year for 45 mins a day, made for a session a week.

Group#2
Craig,Darrin,Jim,and Todd
I started playing with one person in the D&D club at a home game. They needed a fourth and I joined, I'm two years younger then everyone else,we played two to three Sundays a month for nine months and usually did marathons during the summer months to get even more gaming in. 
Memorial occurrence
-Kentucky Fried Chicken was across the street, I still remember these guys every time I see a KFC.
-Just having tons of fun gaming with no responsibilities.
-No Internet and just crazy with each and every book that we picked up and read.
-Got hooked on Jolt Cola

Group #3
John (my brother),Craig,Paul, later added Joe (my future brother in-law), Art joined at the end.
After High school ended people went to college and/or got jobs and went other ways in life, I met a girl and my love of gaming got my future brother in-law hooked on it, he was 16 at the time.
We played in my parents basement, every other Sunday for 4 or so years.
Memorial occurrence
-Playing all the big modules (against the giants, demon web pits, temple of elemental evil, we played them all.
-Having the halfling thief trapped in the temple of elemental evil using open locks to lock the doors in the room and resting with 3 dead player bodies till he healed and died trying to get out of the dungeon.

Group#4
Craig,Paul,Art,Joe
We moved the game to Art's apartment.
Gaming every other Sunday for 3+ years was fun with this group, this group played everything but D&D, this is the mid 90's and Vampire the masquerade, Werewolf the apocalypse, Rifts and Gurps was the order of the day.
This group fell apart due to marriage,me opening a business and life.
Memorial occurrence
-My brother quest starred one session and gave us a split personality wizard & fighter that changed every time he saw a flame. (Gurps)
-Joe jumping off a 20 story building landing, failing his hunger rolls in a Vampire game and killing 3 homeless people in the alley as he fled the city as he gave himself away.
-Paul getting a Tattoo of his werewolf character as he loved the theme of the game so much.
-Joe making a simple wizard in Rifts become a mega mad mage that was resistant to energy.

Group#5
Dan,Reuben,Joe,Paul,Mike (later replaced Paul)
At this time I had not gamed for a few years as I started a hobby store with my brother and we both applied and got really good jobs, We closed the store after 4 years of business.
At the end of it two new friends that I have been playing too much Warhammer Fantasy came to understanding that we also had a love of RPG's as well.
We started playing at Dan's house, one Sunday we RPGed and the next we played Warhammer Fantasy.
This is the time of D&D 3e, we bought it and started rolling dice again. To date this was the longest group I played with and lasted 6+ years.
Memorial occurrence
-Joe having a breakdown (not a real one) when his character died, after a 10 minute cool down he announced he was dropping out to go to teachers college anyway so it was fitting the way it happened. The group disbanded after this.
-Mike having a similar breakdown (not a real one) when the sorcerer and wizard spent four rounds buffing each other, while the fighter and cleric died to hill giants
-Paul leaving the group to start a business, I miss Paul. I only gamed with him but this was the last time I gamed with him and still have found memories of fighting the bad guys with him.
-Playing some NEW cool adventures, we really took to the game, sunless citadel, forge of fury, red hand of doom, etc,etc....


gaming group history part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment